Hyundai A-League Season 6

Fury Hold Victory in a Bizarre Contest
By Shane Derham

A-League 2010/2011 - Round 3
3pm, Sunday 22 August, 2010
at Melbourne Football Stadium

Melbourne Victory FC 2

(Kevin Muscat 30' pen, 75' pen')
drew with
North Queensland Fury FC 2
(Eugene Sseppuya 16', Chris Payne 82' pen)

(Linked from FFA web site)

With a match that had more suspense than a Matthew Reilly novel, the North Queensland Fury have stolen a draw, coming away from the Melbourne Victory with a 2-2 result. This has been the first point taken away by from AAMI Park (Melbourne Football Stadium) by any of its tenants, but it will be remembered for many more things.

In what was a very attacking first half of football, both sides have thrown caution to the wind. In the first 30 minutes, the North Queensland Fury played the entertaining style of football they have made famous under the tutorage of Franz Straka.

Once the Fury went a man down, Straka employed a defensive strategy and put 10 men behind the ball, which in turn was nine men for the last ten minutes. For the Victory, Carlos Hernandez had plenty of opportunities as well in the first half, with many of the shots on goal coming from his right boot, but never touching the back of the net.

The first goal of the match came in the 16th minute from a free kick deep on the left hand side by Isaka Cernak. Michael Petkovic came off his line and was unable to clear the ball leaving the goalmouth open. In a scramble, Eugene Sseppuya put a shot on goal, Rodrigo Vargas and Surat Sukha could not clear it.

The Melbourne Victory replied in the 30th minute through a Kevin Muscat penalty. In what was a shocking decision by referee Chris Boyle, Chris Grossman was red carded for bring down Robbie Kruse in the penalty box in the 29th minute. On the replay, there were quite clearly two other Fury's players behind Chris Grossman.

In a dramatic end to the first half, Adam Casey turned the ball over, Mate Dugandzic sprinted away and crossed it to Robbie Kruse who took a shot at goal, which beat Justin Pasfield but Mark Hughes made a diving save for the Fury. The ball rebounded back to Kruse who crossed it to a free Tom Pondeljak on the far post but he could not get a boot to ball.

The second half has been all one-way traffic, with the Melbourne Victory dominating the second half. Attacking in wave after wave, the North Queensland Fury defence held out strongly.

The second goal for the Victory came through another Kevin Muscat penalty, fooling goalkeeper Justin Pasfield. In the 75th minute Kellaway broke away on the right hand side, beating a sliding Eric Akoto and than was brought down on the line of the box by an Osama Malik challenge to which referee Chris Boyle pointed to the spot.

The controversy continued in the 79th minute with the referee giving a penalty against Diogo Ferreira for holding a North Queensland Fury player in the box, issuing a yellow card. In a bizarre next couple of minutes that conspired, Fury defender Eric Akoto was red carded for pushing Kevin Muscat off his feet. Both sides refused to comment on the incident involving Muscat and Akoto, but we may hear further detail early in the week.

Chris Payne converted the penalty in the 82nd minute, to level to game up at 2-2.

Until the end of the match, the Victory went on the attack straight from the resumption of play, with Justin Pasfield making a diving save from a Carlos Hernandez shot in the 85th minute. But the Melbourne Victory were not able to capitalise on the opportunities presented to them.

In the 55th minute, Mate Dugandzic was booked for diving in the penalty box by debutant referee Chris Boyle. A second yellow was issued for simulation on the 65th minute to Robbie Kruse.

Mark Hughes has been the hero for the Fury, clearing the line again for the second time after Mate Dugandzic chipped Justin Pasfield in the 67th minute. Melbourne had another chance from the corner with a spectacular Leigh Broxham shot going just wide.

A-League 2010/2011 - Round 3
3pm, Sunday 22 August, 2010
at Melbourne Football Stadium

Melbourne Victory FC 2

(Kevin Muscat 30' pen, 75' pen')
drew with
North Queensland Fury FC 2
(Eugene Sseppuya 16', Chris Payne 82' pen)

    Crowd: 13,318


    Melbourne Victory FC :
    Player listing:
    1. Michael Petkovic (gk) 2. Kevin Muscat (c) 3. Mate Dugandzic 5. Surat Sukha (Diogo Ferreira +75') 6. Leigh Broxham 12. Rodrigo Vargas 15. Tom Pondeljak (27. Geoff Kellaway +64') 16. Carlos Hernandez 19. Evan Berger 21. Robbie Kruse 23. Adrian Leijer

    Substitutes not used: 11. Marvin Angulo, 20. Sebastian Mattei (rgk)

    Coach: Ernie Merrick

    Yellow Cards: 23. Adrian Leijer 10', 6.Leigh Broxham 51', 3. Mate Dugandzic +55', 21. Robbie Kruse +65', 13. Diogo Ferreira +79'
    Red Cards: Nil

    North Queensland Fury FC :
    Player listing:
    1. Justin Pasfield (gk), 4. Eric Akoto, 5. Mark Hughes, 7. Gareth Edds (c), 9. Eugene Sseppuya (8. Adam Casey +32'), 11. David Williams (10. Dyron Daal +63'), 14. Chris Grossman, 15. Chris Payne, 16. Simon Storey, 17. Osama Malik (6. Ufuk Talay +78'), 19. Isaka Cernak

    Substitutes not used: 1 Paul Henderson (rgk)

    Coach: Frank Straka

    Yellow Cards: Nil
    Red Cards: 14. Chris Grossman 29', 4. Eric Akoto 81

    Referee: Chris Boyle 6/10
    Assistants: AR1 Luke Brennan, AR2 Shaun Evans; Fourth Official: Kevin Docherty

    Pitch rating: 9/10

    Game rating: 8/10

    BOTN Player Points :

    3. Mate Dugandzic (MV)
    2. Mark Hughes (NQF)
    1. David Williams (NQF)

    Match Report by Shane Derham

Disclaimer: The content of this report is the responsibility of the writer. Stats are either as recorded by the writer at the game, or as supplied by FFA, or a mixture - no responsibility can be taken for their compete accuracy although we do strive for that. FFA has not this season accredited any Photographers for BOTN, so any photos used here, unless attributed, are as supplied by FFA and used by permission.

Crafted lovingly by hand
By fans, for fans
© Magic Llama 2000 - 2010