Westfield W-League - 2012/2013 - Season 5

Perth secured revenge
By Stephen Webb

2012/2013 W-League - Round 9
5pm - Saturday 15 December, 2012 - Sydney Football Stadium

Sydney FC 5
(Simon 41', Kete 43, Billson 62', Foord 81', Kerr 90')
lost to
Perth Glory FC 7
(De Vanna 13', 72', 87', Luik 56', D’Ovidio 60', 61', Gill 87')

Lisa De Vanna’s strength, speed and all round damned-goodness were too much for Sydney in a highly entertaining encounter in which Perth secured revenge for the thrashing they received from Sydney last season.

De Vanna scored first and then put Sydney to the sword when the home side still held some hope for a draw or even a win after a hectic end-to-end battle that notched up a record 12 goals.

For her first goal De Vanna, set up by Kathryn Gill, used her pace to break free and score.

Team mate Elisa D’Ovidio might also have started on her own path to a hat trick but for Sydney keeper Sian McLaren diving at her feet.

Kyah Simon made a scything tackle on Aivi Luik, advancing down the left, and McLaren miss-punched a clearance, with the ball left rolling past the goalpost.

Sydney gave Perth a lot of room early in the first half and Luik was allowed to run to the Sydney penalty area and shoot high.

Sydney responded by launching Lillie Billson down the right, faster than Elizabeth Milne, and shooting across goal to hit the left post.

Soon it was Emma Kete venturing down the right but she couldn’t round Bronwyn Studman.

Teresa Polias played Billson to Perth’s penalty area where Milne and Sasha Andrews kept her at bay.

Gill turned Renee Rollason well but Rollason reined her in.

McLaren and Carly Telford took turns at surviving dangerous attacks, while Polias was put under the pressure of finding passes to penetrate the Perth defence.

When Telford was hurt and replaced by Zoe Palandri it gave players from both teams the opportunity to obtain refreshment from the sideline — the humidity and pace of the game taking their toll.

De Vanna put in a good cross from the right — not too far from providing Luik a close-range shooting opportunity.

In the 42nd minute Palandri spilled a cross from Sam Kerr between her legs, leaving Simon with a relatively simple poke in. Sydney had drawn level.

But worse was to come for Palandri. Barely more than a minute later another cross from Billson on the right found Kete in space at the top of the box. Kete took her shot well, past the keeper and inside the left post.

Palandri then had to come off her line to stop Kete reaching the ball inside the top right corner of the penalty area — but Palandri spilled again, almost into Kete’s path. Seconds later Palandri had to stop a high shot from the left. The substitute keeper would have needed something to soothe her nerves a half time.

As the second half began Perth’s Carys Hawkins followed up some great movement with a cross from the right.

Kerr hit a wonderful ball from the left in her own half to Kete forward on the right. Kete won a corner that almost drifted into the goal.

Perth started the half with confidence and a better passing game. De Vanna made a great run, turning Polias in the middle and leading a merry chase before attempting a desperate cross from the line to the left of goal.

Another error by Palandri almost let Kete in.

Perth’s second goal came after a nice piece of play and Sydney pitifully hoping for an offside decision. Luik was played through to the top of Sydney’s penalty area and left with an easy finish to complete.

Sydney immediately bustled their way around Perth’s box, with missed chances, air-swings and a Perth defender blocking a shot with her face.

Perth won a corner from the right, taken by Marianna Tabain and punched away by McLaren — but not far enough. Perth shot again, McLaren blocked and D’Ovidio buried the rebound.

And it was D’Ovidio who scored Perth’s fourth, almost before the replay of her first goal had finished.

Mercy for the poor reporter! A goal a minute: Sydney replied with a scorching 20-metre drive from Billson, the ball rising into the roof of Palandri’s net.

With the score at 3-4 Kerr almost equalised for Sydney with a volley on a cross from the right. Seven goals and nearly 30 minutes to go.

In the 64th minute a wonderful ball from the right found Kerr to the left of goal. Kerr pulled back for Billson and Sydney’s fourth goal seemed certain. But her shot screamed past the left post.

Sydney won two corners before Simon headed wide.

As Sydney looked most likely to score next ... they didn’t. De Vanna, set free on the left, headed to goal. McLaren got down well but couldn’t deal with the ferocity of De Vanna’s shot: 3-5.

Polias found Caitlin Foord wide on the right. Foord shot just over the top left corner of goal.

De Vanna, on another strong run, made fools of Sydney’s defence, but McLaren came out bravely. De Vanna still beat her but only hit the post with the goal open.

A cross from the right by Kete almost found Billson in front of goal and a long shot by Polias won Sydney another corner. Then Sydney wasted an excellent opportunity — four versus two — but Palandri blocked Kerr’s shot.

Perth then turned the ball over and Foord’s shot was too good for Palandri: 4-5. Ten minutes to go.

But there was still time for McLaren to misjudge a soft lob by Gill: 4-6.

It seemed game over for Sydney. But the game was not yet over.

De Vanna was still due for a hat trick. Released on the right of the Sydney penalty area she slotted another shot beyond McLaren: 4-7.

But Sydney — and particularly Polias — still thought there was still time for a Manchester United-styled comeback. Perth, cheered on by early-arriving Western Sydney Wanderers supporters, were made to fight to the very end.

A great ball by Polias found Kerr on the left of the box. Kerr put the ball past Palandri: 5-7. If only there had been a few more minutes of time added on.

Now two points clear of Brisbane at the top of the table and with just three rounds remaining, who can put a stop to Perth ... and De Vanna?

2012/2013 W-League - Round 9
5pm - Saturday 15 December, 2012 - Sydney Football Stadium

Sydney FC 5
(Simon 41', Kete 43, Billson 62', Foord 81', Kerr 90')
lost to
Perth Glory FC 7
(De Vanna 13', 72', 87', Luik 56', D’Ovidio 60', 61', Gill 87')



    Sydney FC :
    Player listing: 1. Sian McLaren (gk), 2. Teresa Polias, 4. Sam Kerr, 7. Nicola Bolger, 9. Caitlin Foord, 10. Renee Rollason, 13. Larissa Crummer, 14. Alanna Kennedy, 17. Kyah Simon (c), 19. Emma Kete, 22. Lillie Billson

    Substitutes: 20. Sham Khamis (gk), 3 Elizabeth Ralston; 12 Chloe Logarzo; 11 Annalie Longo

    Coach: Alen Stajcic

    Yellow Cards: Teresa Polias 77’
    Red Cards: Nil

    Perth Glory FC :
    Player listing: 1. Carly Telford (gk) (Palandri (rgk) 35'), 3. Carys Hawkins, 4. Bronwyn Studman, 6. Sasha Andrews (c), 7. Aivi Luik, 8. Ella Mastrantonio, 11. Lisa De Vanna, 12. Kate Gill, 13. Elisa D’Ovidio, 15. Liz Milne, 17. Marianna Tabain

    Substitutes: 5 Shannon May; 9 Rosie Sutton; 10 Jaymee Gibbons; 20 Zoe Palandri

    Coach: Jamie Harnwell

    Yellow Cards: Carys Hawkins 46’
    Red Cards: Nil

    Referee: Kirralee Gardner
    Assistants: tba; tba
    4th official: tba

    BOTN players to watch:
    3. Lisa De Vanna (Perth Glory), 2. Teresa Polias (Sydney FC), 1. Kathryn Gill (Perth Glory)

    Pitch rating: 7/10

    Game rating: 9/10

    Match report and photos: Stephen Webb

Photo Gallery:

Disclaimer: The content of this report is the responsibility of the writer. Stats are either as recorded by the writer at the game, or as supplied by FFA, or a mixture - no responsibility can be taken for their compete accuracy although we do strive for that. Any photos used here, are as attributed.

Crafted lovingly by hand
By fans, for fans
© Magic Llama 2000 - 2013