A goal and point each for City and Glory

By Mark Gojszky:

Hyundai A-League – Season 10 – Round 12
5.30pm, Friday 26th December 2014 – AAMI Park, Melbourne

Melbourne City FC 1 (Aaron Mooy 48′)

drew with

Perth Glory FC 1 (Richard Garcia 62′)

Richard Garcia has come back to haunt his former side, scoring in the 62nd minute to cancel out Aaron Mooy’s 48th minute opener as Melbourne City and Perth Glory played out a thrilling 1-1 draw.

A contest devoid of action in the first half – with neither ‘keeper forced into a tough save – sprang to life in the second as both sides finally looked to win the game, rather than concede goals.

City fashioned the first chance when Robbie Wielaert – in an unfamiliar position at right fullback – made a marauding run forward and teed up Melling whose shot was blocked.

The hosts were finding joy on that right side as David Williams found space to find Aaron Mooy in the middle, but his shot was held by Vukovic.

Perth had a legitimate penalty shout turned down on half an hour when Richard Garcia was felled in the box by Patrick Kisnorbo, only for referee Alan Milliner to adjudge a corner kick for the visitors – despite replays showing Kisnorbo did not touch the ball.

In a half devoid of chances for either side, Tando Velaphi had barely a touch in his goals, while David Williams had a rare opportunity on goal just before half time, heading a speculative cross into the safe hands of Danny Vukovic.

Aaron Mooy needed just two minutes to open the scoring in the second half, running onto David Williams’ clever ball in the box and beating Vukovic with his left boot.

Perth’s defence was being sliced open, as Melling dribbled past a couple of players into the box, but his shot turned low cross rolled to safety.

Tando Velaphi showed signs of rustiness as he fumbled an aerial ball which allowed Michael Thwaite to try a spectacular overhead goal, but Erik Paartalu was on the line to clear any danger.

Richard Garcia took full advantage of City’s sloppiness at the back, heading home Scott Jamieson’s delivery after being left unmarked at a set-piece.

Dino Djulbic was the next player to force Velaphi into action, losing Patrick Kisnorbo on the far post to volley another set-piece at goal.

Paartalu almost had a goal of his own down the other end, rising to meet Mooy’s corner kick, but Vukovic had his measure.

Vukovic had to be on his toes as Mooy threatened twice more, curling another corner kick on target, before trying a stinging long range shot that was barely tipped over by the ‘keeper.

Andy Keogh bloomed late in the contest, threatening to score with his head and feet, but Connor Chapman and Velaphi were on hand to deny him respectively.

Neither side could find the winning touch, with both sets of players settling for a hard fought draw.


Melbourne City: 20. Tando Velaphi (GK), 3. Robbie Wielaert, 4. Connor Chapman, 5. Erik Paartalu, 6. Aaron Mooy, 7. Iain Ramsay, 15. David Williams (14. James Brown 82′), 19. Ben Garuccio, 23. Mate Dugandzic (11. Damien Duff 58′), 24. Patrick Kisnorbo, 25. Jacob Melling (10. Robi Koren 69′)

Unused Subs: 1. Andrew Redmayne (GK), 28. Liam Miller

Yellow Cards: Kisnorbo 67′

Red Cards: None

Perth Glory: 1. Danny Vukovic (GK), 5. Rostyn Griffiths, 6. Dino Djulbic, 8. Ruben Zadkovich, 9. Andy Keogh, 11. Richard Garcia, 14. Chris Harold (2. Jack Clisby 88′), 19. Josh Risdon, 20. Danny de Silva (16. Sidnei Sciola 69′), 21. Scott Jamieson, 23. Michael Thwaite

Unused Subs: 18. Jack Duncan (GK), 3. Brandon O’Neill, 15. Jamie Maclaren,

Yellow Cards: Garcia 64′

Red Cards: None


Referee: Alan Milliner 7/10

Pitch: 9/10

Game: 6/10 (2/10 first half; 8/10 second half)


3. Aaron Mooy

2. Richard Garcia

1. Danny Vukovic