Sydney thrash Perth (it could have been worse)

By Stephen Webb:

W-League Season 2013-14 Week 7
5 January 2014, 3 pm
Jubilee Oval, Kogarah, Sydney

Sydney FC 8

(Caitlin Foord 13’, 64’, 90+1’, Leena Khamis 37’, Jodie Taylor 42’, Emma Kete 45+1’, Nicola Bolger 85’, Chloe Logarzo 90’)
Perth Glory FC 2 (Kate Gill 30’, Marianna Tabain 48’)

Sydney hammered Perth by a six-goal margin, including a hat-trick by Caitlin Foord, but it could have been worse if Sydney hadn’t taken their foot off the pedal in the second half or if they took things a little more seriously in transition to defence.

But did it matter? Did they care?

There was Perth penalty area action for Sydney early — a great tackle by Ella Mastrantonio stopped Nicola Bolger — and a few high shots at either end but nothing notable until Foord was free in the box in the 13th minute to score her first, placing the ball well to the left of Perth keeper Chantel Jones.

Teresa Polias won the ball in her own half and sent Amy Harrison on her way until fouled by (yellow-carded) Kathryn Gill.

Bolger shot to the left of goal from outside the box and some good one-twos got Leena Khamis into the Perth penalty area but Khamis fell and on the loose ball Sydney could only manage a soft shot to Jones.

Polias intercepted a Perth pass (something she made a habit of) and sent Khamis down the left. Khamis won a corner from her cross. Jones made a good save on a shot by Jodie Taylor in the left of Perth’s penalty area. Then a curling shot from Taylor was just wide of the right post.

Sydney were applying constant pressure with Polias allowed a lot of room, which she used to dictate play.

Sydney retained possession in and around the Perth box until Jones blocked Bolger at close range. From Perth’s immediate counter attack Gill scored Perth’s first goal.

Gill almost had another chance on a cross from the right but Polias slid in just in time.

Emma Kete was fast down the right and found her way around Shannon May but, cutting in to goal, only managed a gentle shot toward goal.

Sydney still took the game to Perth but looked a little frustrated and flustered. A one-two between Bolger and Chloe Logarzo led to a Bolger shot blocked by Bronwyn Studman.

Kete passed a kind ball to Jones but Sydney quickly regained possession and Khamis, free on goal, scored with a low drive.

Amy Harrison and Taylor combined in the right of the Perth box to set up Khamis, whose shot was deflected for a corner. From the corner Taylor fell in the box, then Alesha Clifford went down, but Taylor kept fighting and regained her feet in time to score Sydney’s third.

Even if outplayed, Perth weren’t overawed. Marianna Tabain, free in the left of Sydney’s penalty area, hit the crossbar.

Caitlin Foord, fast into the left of Perth’s penalty area (something she made a habit of), won a corner. The kick was long but the ball came back in from the right. Kete was left with a tap in from what seemed an offside position after a close range shot from Sydney. The goal counted however and Sydney went to half time with a 4-1 lead.

Sarah Carroll for Perth had the first shot of the second half (very high) but minutes later, with a corner from the left, Tabain, wind assisted, dropped the ball over Casey Dumont and Perth reduced the margin, briefly, to two.

Perth looked to be defending quicker and harder, Studman was good robbing the ball and Christina Julien had a few runs where she troubled the Sydney defence, once squeezing a shot past the right post.

When Rosie Sutton hit a shot to the left of goal it appeared Perth were having the better of the second half. But a loose ball fell to Foord near half way and, after a strong solo run down the left, Foord, though tackled by Thia Eastman, placed her shot past Jones and inside the right post.

Taylor made her own solo run but blasted her shot high.

Tabain made a tempting early cross from the right — just too strong for her teammate arriving at the left post.

Then more intricate one-two work around Perth’s goal box finally saw Bolger bury the ball to make it 6-2.

With time running out, the small group of Sydney Cove fans behind the Perth goal were getting greedy for more and called for shots to come quicker. One shot was obligingly launched from outside the penalty area but sailed too high.

But then Logarzo was played through to make it 7-2.

Perth gave the ball away straight from the kick off and three blue shirts contested for Sydney’s eighth goal. Foord, on her hat-trick, staked her claim and made it hers.

With fans calling for two more — not implausible even with barely a minute left — Sydney struck twice more but high from outside the box.

Sydney thrashed Perth and remain undefeated … but, frightening as they were up front, even Perth made them look suspect in defence. Or at least not as focused.


Sydney FC:
1. Casey Dumont (gk), 2. Teresa Polias, 4. Alesha Clifford (3. Danielle Brogan 66’), 5. Liz Ralston, 7. Nicola Bolger, 8. Amy Harrison, 9. Caitlin Foord, 10. Renee Rollason, 14. Jodie Taylor (12. Chloe Logarzo 81’), 18. Emma Kete, 19. Leena Khamis (6. Natalie Tobin 74’)
Subs not used: 17. Shamiran Khamis (gk)
Yellow cards: Renee Rollason 64’

Perth Glory FC:
1. Chantel Jones (gk), 2. Sarah Carroll, 4. Bronwyn Studman, 5. Shannon May, 8. Ella Mastrantonio, 9. Rosie Sutton, 12. Kate Gill (15. Jessica Dillon 59’), 13. Elisa D’Ovidio, 16. Thia Eastman, 17. Marianna Tabain, 21. Christina Julien (18. Amy Knights 66’)
Subs not used: 28. Gabrielle Dal Busco (gk), 19. Shawn Billam
Yellow cards: Kate Gill 15’, Ella Mastrantonio 37’, Chantel Jones 37’

Referee: Casey Reibelt
Assistants: Sarah Ho, Michelle Allen, Katie Patterson

Pitch: 8/10

Game: 6/10

Best players:
3. Taylor (Sydney)
2. Foord (Sydney)
1. Polias (Sydney)

By Stephen Webb


[Editor: This is the 100th report or article on our new look site since August 2013. This is a place to keep coming back to!]