Review R5: No changes at top after top two draw

by Jeremy Ruane:
with the compliments of


It is as you were in the Hyundai A-League after the Guy Fawkes round of action saw two of the four matches which took place ending in stalemates, including the top-of-the-table tussle at Allianz Stadium in Sydney.

Friday night’s leadership showdown proved to be something of a damp squib, with Sydney FC and Brisbane Roar retaining their places on the table courtesy a goalless draw watched by just 12,857 fans – the absentees didn’t miss much!

Twenty-four hours earlier, Melbourne City ensured Adelaide United would remain firmly entrenched at the bottom of the table by convincingly downing the cellar-dwellers 4-2 in front of 8,632 fans at Coopers Stadium, in Adelaide.

City were in the ascendancy from the outset, and Erik Paartalu’s eighth minute header – from a corner arising from David Williams being thwarted by John Hall – merely served to underline their superiority.

Aaron Mooy was running the show for the visitors, and deservedly doubled their lead ten minutes before half-time via his own firecracker on Guy Fawkes night, a twenty-five yard which crashed into the net via the crossbar.

Bruno Fornaroli got in on the act in the second spell with a brace of goals, these coming either side of a Sergio Cirio effort for United, who reduced the deficit to two goals five minutes from time when Pablo Sanchez potted a penalty for the well-beaten side.

On Saturday evening, Newcastle Jets squandered the chance to climb to the top of the table when two goals in the last eleven minutes earned Western Sydney Wanderers a come-from-behind 2-1 victory in front of 14,886 fans at Hunter Stadium in Newcastle.

A string of Mark Birighitti saves kept Newcastle in the contest as the visitors laid siege to their rivals’ goal, but when the net finally bulged, it was the home team’s fans who were celebrating, although Enver Alivodic’s strike sixteen minutes from time had a touch of controversy about it, with referee Stephen Lucas overruling his assistant, who had raised his flag to signal offside.

Wests had just five minutes to wait for their equaliser, with Andreu potting a penalty seven minutes before Mitch Nichols hammered home a twenty-five yarder to clinch a second successive victory for the former Asian confederation champions.

On Sunday evening, Central Coast Mariners earned a deserved 1-1 draw with Wellington Phoenix in front of 6,460 fans at Central Coast Stadium, Gosford, where Michael McGlinchey struck an eighth minute opener for the visitors to remind his former club of his talents.

Roly Bonevacia came close to doubling Wellington’s lead on the hour with a twenty-five yarder which crashed against the post, but the home team were well in the contest by this point, and deservedly levelled fourteen minutes from time through Roy O’Donovan, who had earlier had a goal ruled out by the offside flag.

The match between Perth Glory and Melbourne Victory was postponed until mid-December to accommodate their clash in the FFA Cup Final on Saturday evening. First half goals from Oliver Bozanic and Besart Berisha clinched a 2-0 win for ten-man Melbourne, whose captain, Carl Valeri, was sent off for committing two bookable offences late in the final.

Wellington and Adelaide kick off sixth round action at Westpac Stadium on Friday night, where a bumper crowd is expected in light of the home team’s situation re their future.

Later that evening, Melbourne City and Western Sydney lock horns at AAMI Park, while on Saturday night, the action is centred in New South Wales. Newcastle and Central Coast square off at Hunter Stadium, before Sydney and Melbourne Victory meet at Allianz Stadium. And on Sunday night, Brisbane and Perth wrap up the round at Suncorp Stadium.

HAL 11 Round 5 Match Details:

Adelaide United FC 2 (S. Cirio (66), P. Sanchez (85 pen)) – Melbourne City 4 (E. Paartalu (8), A. Mooy (35), B. Fornaroli (56, 71); HT 0-2
Sydney FC 0, Brisbane Roar 0
Central Coast Mariners FC 1 (R. O‘Donovan (76)) – Wellington Phoenix FC 1 (M. McGlinchey (8)); HT 0-1
Newcastle Jets FC 1 (E. Alivodic (74)) – Western Sydney Wanderers FC 2 (Andreu (79 pen), M. Nichols (86)) HT 0-0
Perth Glory F vs Melbourne Victory FC – postponed until 16 December, 2015

P    W    D    L    F    A    GD    Pts

Sydney FC    5    3    2    0    6    2    +4    11

Brisbane Roar    5    3    1    1    10    5    +5    10

Newcastle Jets    5    3    0    2    7    6    +1    9

Melbourne Victory    4    2    1    1    6    3    +3    7

Melbourne City    5    2    1    2    12    10    +2    7

Western Sydney Wanderers    5    2    1    2    5    6    -1    7

Wellington Phoenix    5    2    1    2    7    9    -2    7

Central Coast Mariners    5    1    1    3    7    11    -4    4

Perth Glory    4    1    0    3    6    7    -1    3

Adelaide United    5    0    2    3    4    11    -7    2

By Jeremy Ruane

Westfield W-League Season 8 – Round 4

Newcastle Jets FC 1 (Jenna Kingsley 3’) – Western Sydney Wanderers FC 2 (Chloe O’Brien, Carmelina Moscato 92’)
Melbourne Victory FC 0 – Adelaide United FC 4 (Rosie Sutton 14’, 55’, 68’, Tiarn Powell 33’)
Sydney FC 1 (Kyah Simon 14’ pen) – Perth Glory FC 0
Canberra United FC 2 (Ashleigh Sykes 29’, Michelle Heyman 60’) – Melbourne City FC 4 (Mariana Tabain 5’, Larissa Crummer 11’, Aivi Luik 41’, Kim Little 87’)
Brisbane Lions FC – BYE


National Youth League – Version 2 (first weekend)

Conference A
Perth Glory FC 0 – Brisbane Roar FC 2
Adelaide United FC 4 – Melbourne Victory FC 2
BYE – Melbourne City FC

Conference B
Central Coast Mariners FC 1 – Sydney FC 2
Newcastle Jets FC 3 – Western Sydney Wanderers FC 3
FFA Centre of Excellence